Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Blue Devil Athlete Spotlight: Alexis Melanson (Girls' Soccer)

 Alexis Melanson (Senior, Girls' Soccer)




Senior defender Alexis Melanson has lived in Leominster her entire life, and for most of that time she has played soccer, thanks in large part to her parents.


“My parents introduced me to the sport,” Alexis said.  “They took me to tryouts in kindergarten I believe and I started to love the sport from the first time I started playing it until now.”


Alexis is now a key part of the Blue Devil soccer team, where she serves as one of the four team captains for coach Bryant Houle and his brother, fellow coach Scott Houle.  As it turns out, Alexis is quite familiar with both of her high school coaches.  


“My coach I have now, coach Bryant, has been my coach all throughout youth soccer so it’s awesome to have him and his brother to coach my last year of high school,” Alexis said.  


Bryant Houle said Alexis is a true pleasure to coach.  


“I would say first and foremost that regardless of Alexis being an athlete, she is a very respectful person to whomever she comes in contact with,” Houle said.   “She is also a very coachable player that works well with teammates.  Alexis a quiet leader.”   

 

Alexis has truly enjoyed her time as a student-athlete at Leominster High.  

 

“My favorite part about being part of a team in Leominster is all of the support the sports get from the other sports, as well as all of the students,” Alexis said.  “Last year, it was always fun having a big fan section for your game and having all of your friends watch and cheer you on from the sidelines.” 

 

Alexis’ love of soccer has her playing outside the high school as well, where she has played for club soccer programs including Global Premier Soccer, the Boston Breakers, and most recently with the FC Stars.  

 

Alexis said she likes the connections she makes with her teammates no matter what team she is playing for.  

 

Every team I am on always feels like a second family and it has always been such a nice place for me to get away from all of the other stressful things in my life,” Alexis said.  


The next team on Alexis’ radar is Emmanuel College in Boston, where she is verbally committed to play soccer next fall where she will study nursing.  


“After I complete my four years of nursing school, I plan to attend a graduate school to become a physician assistant,” Alexis said.  


At Leominster High, Alexis is a part of the National Honor Society and Best Buddies Club.  Alexis said she gets a lot out of the Best Buddies program.  


“This is one of my favorite clubs because not only are the students fun to be around, they make you feel loved and teach you something new everyday,” Alexis said.  “I love being a leader for the students in the club because they look up to you and it makes me able to teach them different social customs and skills.”


Alexis’ favorite class during her time at LHS has been Honors Physics with Mr. Noviello. 


“This was my favorite class because there were so many hands-on labs that I really enjoyed doing,” Alexis said.  “Mr. Noviello taught one of the hardest subjects in a way that was so easy to understand you felt confident in his class.” 


Outside of school, Alexis enjoys hanging out with friends and attending other sports contests, including watching her brother play ice hockey.  





No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Devil Athlete Spotlight: Samara Rosado (Girls' Volleyball)

Senior girls’ volleyball player Samara Rosado has been an impactful team member since joining the volleyball program her sophomore year acco...