Monday, October 26, 2020

Blue Devil Athlete Spotlight: Kai Ryan (Cross Country)



For junior Kai Ryan, each fall always meant playing the sport of soccer.  This year, Kai switched sports, electing to keep running though, joining the cross country team.  

Kai said the transition has been a positive experience so far.  

“This is my first season of running cross country,” Kai said.  “I've been a track and field runner since seventh grade but would always play soccer in the fall. This year I made the tough decision of quitting soccer, a sport I had played my whole life, in order to focus more on running.”

Kai said he enjoys the many benefits of running.  

“Anybody can run, you don't need a ball, special gear, or accessories,” Kai said.  “Running is a sport that's inclusive of everyone.  Everyone can set their own goals for themselves, and it's very easy to see results and improvement through the times that you run.”

Kai also said enjoys being part of the Blue Devil cross country family.

“Everyone's very supportive of each other, I love how the rest of the team will cheer on our teammates who are running at the moment, and when anyone crosses the finish line we are all proud of them,” Kai said.  

Cross country coach Danielle Lussier said Kai’s transition has been a smooth one.  

“This is my first season coaching Kai and I am impressed at his hard work and dedication this season,” Lussier said.  “I believe he transferred last year and only ran outdoor track.  Cross country is very different from running outdoor and I am so impressed at how well he is running this season.  I am excited to see him continue to get better each week.”

In school, Kai said his favorite teacher is Mr. Noviello.

“When it comes to my favorite teacher, I would have to give it up to Mr. Noviello,” Kai said.  “His Cosmology class is a course I would recommend to everyone.”

When not in school, Kai enjoys skiing, camping, going to the track and hanging out with friends.

Kai would like to stay in the New England area for college and study nursing.  As for running in college, Kai said he hopes to stay involved one way or another.  

“In an ideal world I would be able to continue running in college, but I think I will have to pursue running just as a hobby or as a club sport,” Kai said. 




 

1 comment:

Blue Devil Athlete Spotlight: Samara Rosado (Girls' Volleyball)

Senior girls’ volleyball player Samara Rosado has been an impactful team member since joining the volleyball program her sophomore year acco...