Friday, May 14, 2021

Blue Devil Athlete Spotlight: Bella Gasbarro (Softball)




Lifelong Leominster resident Bella Gasbarro started playing softball when she

was just seven-years-old.

“My mother introduced me to this sport because when she was little she played and she loved it, so she had gotten me into it when I was little and I still love the game,” Bella said.

Bella said what she likes most about softball is that it takes hard work to get where you want to be. 

“You don’t just wake up one morning being able to hit a home run, you have to work for it,” Bella said.

That work has paid off.  Bella was selected to play for a USA team that competed in Oklahoma City while also playing for a National Voodoo Asadoorian Team.  She now plays for 18U Polar Crush Gold (Dudek) out of Devens MA.  Bella plans on playing softball in college as well and wants to study marketing.

Bella, who also plays field hockey here at LHS said really enjoys being part of the LHS softball team.

“What I like most about being a part of the LHS Softball Program is that we all have talents and different skill levels so we can all learn from one another,” Bella said.

New LHS softball coach Tara Witzgall said Bella has a lot of knowledge of the game and her teammates look to her as a leader on the field. 

“She’s a player who doesn’t make many mistakes but when she does she bounces right back and moves onto the next play,” Witzgall said.  “Bella is the player you want at the plate when the game is on the line. Her coaches and her teammates have a great deal of faith in her in all aspects of the game.”

Bella has a lot of familiarity with Witzgall, playing for her in middle school as well.  

“Throughout the time I have known her, she has always been supportive not only in softball but in our outside lives too,” Bella said.  “One major thing that coach has taught myself and my team is that you have to get comfortable with the uncomfortable. Coach says this religiously throughout the season reminding us that if we aren’t comfortable with something, we have to practice it to get better so we can do it in a game.” 

“I was not comfortable diving for the ball so Coach took time out of her day and came to the fields early before our game to work with me on diving for the ball,” Bella continued.  “Since she has worked with me on it, I now feel confident in myself to dive for a ball during a game to get the out.”  

Outside of school, Bella likes to play softball and hang out with family and friends.  Her favorite class at LHS to date was U.S. History I with Mr. Ordway.  



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Devil Athlete Spotlight: Samara Rosado (Girls' Volleyball)

Senior girls’ volleyball player Samara Rosado has been an impactful team member since joining the volleyball program her sophomore year acco...