Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Blue Devil Athlete Spotlight: Matthew Healy (Boys' Track)




When current LHS junior Matthew Healy was in middle school, he went out for the track team and hasn’t looked back since.  His motivation stemmed from some very talented family influence.  


“I’ve always enjoyed running,” Matthew said.  “I was introduced to it through my family by my cousin who currently runs track at Fordham University and my other cousin who’s a high jumper at the University of Michigan.  I’ve always looked up to both of them.  I used to go to their track meets as a kid and be amazed at how good they were and that really just made me want to start running track.”


Healy is enjoying a great season, recently placing second in the mile and third in the 800 in a meet at Shepherd Hill.


He has goals and works hard,” Leominster boys’ track coach Cathy Harris said.  “He puts in 100% effort at all times and is extremely self motivated and determined.  He’s an asset to our team.”


“What I like most about track is competition against other people and the clock,” Matthew said.  “I like the fact that when you put up a good time, it validates the work you put in during practice and in the offseason.”


Healy said the LHS track team is highly supportive of each other.


“The thing I like most is that everybody pushes each other to do better and the support from the team helps everybody push themselves to do their best,” Matthew said.  


Matthew also said coach Harris is constantly pushing him and his teammates to improve.


“I’ve learned to push yourself the best you can in order to achieve your best time,” Matthew said.  “And to always strive to do better the next race you have.”


Healy is starting his college search and hopes to be able to run track after graduating high school next year.  


“I would like to major in psychology in college specifically as it relates to performance of athletes in sports from a mental standpoint,” Healy said.


Matthew, who also plays varsity ice hockey at LHS, said his favorite class is Intro to TV/Media.

 

“My favorite teacher would have to be Mr. Robichaud, he used to be my baseball coach back when I was a kid so I've known him for a while,” Matthew said.  “He is such a great teacher and person. I've learned a lot from him in and out of the classroom.”


Matthew’s hobbies include going to gym, and he is teaching himself how to play guitar.  He also enjoys spending time with family and friends and running. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Devil Athlete Spotlight: Samara Rosado (Girls' Volleyball)

Senior girls’ volleyball player Samara Rosado has been an impactful team member since joining the volleyball program her sophomore year acco...