Friday, May 28, 2021

Katie Gingras Named New Girls' Soccer Coach at Leominster High School



Katie Gingras has been named the new girls’ soccer coach at Leominster High School.  Gingras has worked in the Leominster school district since 2014 where she has served as a School Counselor at Johnny Appleseed Elementary School.  

Gingras said she is eager to get started.


Coaching is in my blood,” Gingras said.  “I have an intense passion for the game and I am a firm believer we can learn many critical life lessons through playing the game.  I have loved being a part of the Leominster community for so many years and I’m excited to make big changes to the Leominster girls’ soccer program.  I am looking forward to changing the culture and reputation of the program.”


Gingras has extensive playing and coaching experience, including two stints as the varsity head coach here at Leominster High  in 2014 and 2016.  Gingras said much has changed since she was last in charge of the Blue Devils.  


“My perspective has changed immensely since the last time I was here mainly because I became a mother to two girls,” Gingras said.  “My philosophy and approach hasn’t changed much, however I now feel a stronger passion for coaching female athletes.  I’m excited to encourage and inspire my players to become the best versions of themselves through dedication, hard work and commitment.  Life is much bigger than sports, however we can learn so much about ourselves and our lives through sports.”


Gingras has been playing soccer since she was five-years-old, growing up in Lunenburg, where she also was a dancer and participated in basketball and track.  She went to play club soccer with the Central Mass. United which eventually became Delta FC before playing for The Scorpions Soccer Club U17-U19. 


Gingras went on to attend UMass-Amherst, where she was a four-year member of the women’s soccer team, where she also made a position change, which she said is helpful to her as a coach now.    


“My entire career up until college I was a forward or outside midfielder, however when I got to college, I made the switch to left back and I am so glad I did,” Gingras said.  “It gave me a different perspective on the tactical side of the game.”


Gingras’ coaching resume includes time at Lunenburg High as a volunteer assistant coach, head coach of the FC Stars, assistant coach at Fitchburg State University, and coaching within the youth ranks in Fitchburg and Lunenburg.  


In the short term, Gingras plans on connecting with all players and their families who might be interested in playing soccer at LHS in the fall of 2021.  From there, Gingras said summer training will be a key.  


“We will begin training together as a team through the summer months to become a stronger and more confident team moving into the fall season,” Gingras said.  “We are in a different league this year which will hopefully build confidence and give our players an opportunity to highlight their skills and work towards a winning record.”

Gingras said she expects her team to be competitive right away, and that all starts with putting in the work now.  

“The next three months are critical in communicating new team values, while improving and adjusting the culture of the program,” Gingras said.  “Players will be expected to get lots of touches on the ball, while working on their cardiovascular endurance as well as their overall strength and agility.  Champions are made in the offseason, so my goal is for players who are ready to put in the work now. “









No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Devil Athlete Spotlight: Samara Rosado (Girls' Volleyball)

Senior girls’ volleyball player Samara Rosado has been an impactful team member since joining the volleyball program her sophomore year acco...