Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Blue Devil Athlete Spotlight: Daniel Simons (Golf)



Daniel Simons has lived in Leominster almost his entire life.  When he was six months old, he and his family moved from Fitchburg to Leominster.  That move would ultimately give Daniel the opportunity to wear the Leominster blue and white for the Blue Devil golf team.  LHS golf coach Daryl Robichaud said Daniel has been a valued and consistent player since arriving at LHS in the Fall of 2020.  As a freshman, Daniel played in all eight matches in the Covid-shortened season including the first round playoff loss to Westboro. 

 

“Daniel has been a stalwart in the middle of the lineup since joining the team,” Robinson said. “Daniel is a fierce competitor, valued teammate and leads by example.  He is not ostentatious, but when he speaks he does so from a position of authority that the other members of the team respect.” 

 

“Provided he continues to be a student of the game, Daniel will be a fixture in the Blue Devils lineup throughout his Leominster career,” Robichaud added.  

 

Daniel started to play golf when he was around six or seven years old.

 

“I was just going to the driving range,” Daniel recalled.  “Like most people who play golf however, I used to have a plastic set of golf clubs during my early childhood that I would use around the yard.”

 

“I got introduced to golf by my friends who I played baseball with,” Daniel said.  “Some of those people who first introduced golf to me are also playing high school golf, and it is always a thrill when I play them because it takes me back to when I was just learning how to play.”

 

Daniel said his favorite part of the game is executing great shots.  

 

“What I like most about golf is when I either chip in a shot from off the green, or get my approach shot close to the hole and have a tap-in putt,” Daniel said.  

 

With that being said, Daniel said he has learned to be a smart golfer under the instruction of coach Robichaud.

 

“Something that I have learned from coach Robichaud is that playing smart is better than trying to get fancy with the golf ball and take a stupid shot,” Daniel said.

 

Daniel said being a part of the LHS golf team is a special experience.

 

“What I like most about being part of the LHS golf team is that everyone has a different level of golf experience,” Daniel said.  “For some people this is their first year of playing golf, but for others, golf has been their life for as long as they could walk.  We all have fun together no matter the talent level, and for that reason this is why the golf program is so much fun.”

 

Daniel also hopes to also play baseball this spring for the Blue Devils.  

 

In school, Daniel’s favorite class so far has been history.  His favorite teacher is Mr. Oxford.

 

“My favorite teacher so far has been Mr. Oxford because he always wears a cool tie to school,” Daniel said.  

 

Outside of school, Daniel enjoys playing baseball, hanging out with friends, and playing airsoft.  

 

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Devil Athlete Spotlight: Samara Rosado (Girls' Volleyball)

Senior girls’ volleyball player Samara Rosado has been an impactful team member since joining the volleyball program her sophomore year acco...