Friday, January 7, 2022

Blue Devil Athlete Spotlight: Diamani Canuto (Girls' Indoor Track)

Junior girls’ indoor track standout Diamani Canuto moved to Leominster from Revere when she was in the third grade.  During her freshman year at LHS, Diamani went out for indoor track and never looked back.  Diamani said she got interested in track because of her family and their positive experiences.


“My mom used to run track when she was in high school and so did my older brother,” Diamani said. “Hearing her experience and getting to watch my older brother motivated me to try the sport out.”


Diamani said running track provides her with a rush of adrenaline.


“I like the anticipation of when it's getting close to it being my turn to step on the track and run,” Diamani said.  “And when it is my turn, it feels like an energetic boost has taken over and my nerves are gone.”


LHS girls’ track coach Karen Marino said Diamani just does things differently than her competitors.


Diamani Canuto is the athlete on the track that immediately catches your attention because her running form is so beautiful to watch,” Marino said.  “She is a natural athlete that is not afraid to put in the hard work, making her a joy to coach.”


Marino said Diamani is also a versatile athlete, competing in sprints, relays, and the high jump.    


“Look for Diamani to be a top performer for 300m and high jump in Central Mass.,” Marino added.  


Diamani said she has learned a lot from coach Marino in terms of being able to be at her best.  


“Throughout my seasons of track, I've learned that time is the key to everything, in track and out,” Diamani said.  “Past seasons weren't entirely my best, I was getting injured left and right and it limited my ability to even compete one year.  I like to test my limits and keep going until I really can't anymore.  Coach was there and helped me get back to where I am now, even better than before.” 


Diamani also said she truly enjoys being part of the track team at LHS.


“What I like most about being a part of this team at LHS is how welcoming it is,” Diamani said.  “When I first started track, I had no idea what I was doing but during practices many of the upperclassmen were helpful.  And during meets, everyone cheers everyone on and we all have a good time.”


After high school, Diamani plans to go to college and study sports medicine.


“My love for sports has always been there and I've always thought of being a doctor so the two made a perfect fit in my view,” Diamani said.  “I would also love to travel the world someday.”


She also hopes to continue her running career.


“I would love to run after high school,” Diamani said.  “My plan would be to run for a college someday and possibly make it even further into the big world.” 


At LHS, Diamani is involved in GIVE and TRIO.  As for her favorite teacher at LHS, Diamani couldn’t pick just one.


“I wouldn't say I have a favorite teacher, I like them all,” Diamani said.  “My favorite class at LHS would have to be physics this year with Mr.Noviello.  I like how the class challenges me and leaves me questioning things whenever I walk out of the room.”


Outside of school, Diamani plays flag football for Leominster. 


“We have an all girls team and we travel for tournaments,” Diamani said.  “We put a team together not too long ago, two years will be in July.”

     


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Devil Athlete Spotlight: Samara Rosado (Girls' Volleyball)

Senior girls’ volleyball player Samara Rosado has been an impactful team member since joining the volleyball program her sophomore year acco...