Friday, May 6, 2022

Blue Devil Athlete Spotlight: Christian Ocasio (Boys' Volleyball)



Junior Christian Ocasio just started formally playing volleyball last year, although it was not his first exposure to the sport.


I would sometimes play for fun at parties and at the beach and I always found it fun and me and my friend decided we should try it out for real,” Christian said.


That decision turned out to be a good one according to his coach, John Antonetti. 


“Christian is one of our captains,” Antonetti said.  “He brings a very positive attitude to the team.  He brings a lot of heart. He's responsible for recruiting several of our players this year.”


“As far as his playing on the court, he is a very steady player,” Antonetti continued.  “He is very talented in his serving.  He has a strong floor sense knowing where to go, knowing where to hit, knowing where and when to block.”


Antonetti also said Christian is one of the most unselfish players he has ever coached. 


“During one of our games against a less talented team, he told me it was okay not to play him and to put someone else on the team in the game to give that player more playing time,” Antonetti said.


Christian said he loves being a part of the Blue Devil volleyball team.    


I love the connection I have developed with my coaches and my teammates,” Christian said.  “The environment can be fun and even goofy at times but we all know when it is time to be serious and volleyball overall is just such a fun sport to play and there is always sportsmanship involved.”


Christian said he has learned a lot from his time on the team and at the school as well.


“Honestly this school has taught me a lot of things whether they were negative or positive things and these are things I will always appreciate and remember for the rest of my life,” Christian said.  “I enjoy the environment and being able to express who I am every single day.”


On the court, Christian said he also learned a lot from coach Antonetti.  


“What I have learned is to be consistent and to never give up or settle for less,” Christian said.  “My coach has also taught me to never let tough situations get to your head and to keep your head up at all times.”


After high school, Christian hopes to attend a four-year college and study architecture, film and photography, and criminal justice.


“As of right now my main plan is to become a photographer/filmmaker and make positive documentaries about mental health,” Christian said. 


Here at LHS. Christian said his favorite class was math during his freshman year with Mr. Mooney and his favorite overall teacher was Mrs. Nazor, who Christian said he still talks to a lot.  


Outside of school, Christian spends most of his free time listening to music, filming, writing, and at practice or games.


    



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Devil Athlete Spotlight: Samara Rosado (Girls' Volleyball)

Senior girls’ volleyball player Samara Rosado has been an impactful team member since joining the volleyball program her sophomore year acco...