Friday, September 30, 2022

Blue Devil Athlete Spotlight: Ava Mazzaferro (Girls' Soccer)



Freshman girls’ soccer player Ava Mazzaferro has hit the ground running early in her high school soccer career, earning a starting spot for coach Katie Gingras’ team.

“She has been an anchor to our defensive line and has battled with some of the top athletes in Central Mass.,” Gingras said.  “Ava is hard working, dependable and the ultimate team player.”


Gingras has high praise early on for Ava, especially considering Ava is playing with and against players older than her on a regular basis.


“She asks questions, challenges her teammates and always brings a high level of energy to her training,” Gingras said.  “It is evident her teammates respect her and she has a very bright future as a Blue Devil.”


Ava started playing soccer when she was only four, thanks to her parents wanting to get her involved in sports.  


“My parents signed me up for Leominster Youth Soccer when I was four just to see if I would like playing sports,” Ava said.  


It turned out Ava did like sports, and excelled at them too, with soccer being her passion to this day.  Ava, who also plays club soccer with the F.C. Stars ‘07 ECNL Regional Team, said her Leominster team is a special, tight-knit group.  


“I love connecting with my teammates,” Ava said.  “We have a great group of girls on the team this year.  I also like the challenge of defending and competing against great players.  Winning the ball from the other team's attackers and being able to make smart and quality passes is something I strive for every game.” 


“I enjoy how all of the girls are really supportive of one another and how we push each other to play our best,” Ava added.  


Ava said she has also learned a lot so far from Gingras.


“My head coach, coach Gingras, has taught many things this season already,” Ava said.  “One thing in particular was a skill move that would help me elevate my play.  Overall she always tells us to raise the bar and always give our best effort.”


Ava hopes to one day play Division 1 soccer at a four-year college, but until then, she’s enjoying her time at LHS.


“So far, my favorite classes are Spanish 1 and Studio Art 1,” Ava said.  “My favorite teachers are Mrs. Piragis and Mr. Doherty.”


She also plans on playing basketball at LHS and joining Student Council.  




1 comment:

Blue Devil Athlete Spotlight: Samara Rosado (Girls' Volleyball)

Senior girls’ volleyball player Samara Rosado has been an impactful team member since joining the volleyball program her sophomore year acco...