Saturday, May 6, 2023

Blue Devil Athlete Spotlight: Kaitlyn Perrault (Girls' Tennis)



Senior Kaitlyn Perrault has lived in Leominster all her life, but had never competitively played tennis before high school.  Unfortunately for Kaitlyn, and all other spring athletes in the class of 2023, their high school athletic careers had a delayed start.  


"Kaitlyn is a third year tri-captain for the team this year,” said LHS girls’ tennis coach Daryl Robichaud.  “Despite having her freshman year lost to the Covid pandemic she has shown steady improvement each year with the program."


Kaitlyn joined the team after conversations with Robichaud and has never looked back.


"Kaitlyn started her career as a doubles player as a sophomore compiling a 1-1 record at the Second Doubles position,” Robichaud said.  As a junior she posted an impressive 11-3 record for a team that qualified for the State Tournament, while playing in the First Doubles, Second Doubles and Third Singles slots.  This year she has solidified our Second Singles spot - while also playing one match at First Singles - and currently boasts a gaudy 5-1 record."


Following last season, Kaitlyn was named a Mid-Wach B All-Stat (Doubles) along with her partner, Gina Iacoboni, after they went undefeated during the 2022 campaign including a win against Danvers in the State Tournament.  Additionally, her teammates selected her as Co-Most Improved Player (along with Claire Desmarais) and as a Tri-Captain for her senior season.


Robichaud said Kaitlyn has provided valuable leadership during her time as a Blue Devil.  


"Kaitlyn's leadership will be sorely missed after this season as she has been a key component in the resurgence of the Girls' Tennis Program over the past three years,’ Robichaud said.  


Kaitlyn said the sport of tennis is unique when compared to other sports.  


The thing I like the most about tennis is how you can be independently competitive with yourself and play in singles while still being on a team and being surrounded by support,” Kaitlyn said.  


As for being a part of the LHS tennis team, the benefits have been more than just the competitive, on-court components.  


“Being a part of the tennis team at Leominster High School has given me the opportunity to laugh and get my mind off of school when I had a difficult day and needed an escape,” Kaitlyn said.  “There are so many girls that know exactly how to cheer you up and make you laugh when you need it.”


She has also learned a great deal from Coach Robichaud. 


“Something I have learned from Mr. Robichaud this season is to trust that you will end up where you belong,” Kaitlyn said.  “I began my sophomore year playing second doubles and now I am in second singles winning a majority of the matches that I play.  Improvement takes time and you have to trust the process.”


Kaitlyn also has the next steps in her life figured out.


“My post high school plans are to attend Indiana University (Bloomington) and major in Law and Public Policy,” Kaitlyn said.  “After graduating college I plan to attend law school.  In my future I plan to be a corporate attorney.”


At Leominster High School, Kaitlyn is the Vice President of the Student Council, Vice President of the mock trial team, Secretary of S.T.U.M.P (Students for the Transparency and Understanding of Municipal Politics), a member of the National Honor Society, and was a former captain for the varsity volleyball team.


Her favorite classes at LHS have been A.P. U.S. Government with Mrs. Murphy and A.P. Environmental Science with Mrs. Montaruli.  Picking a favorite teacher however was not an easy question for Kaitlyn to answer.  


“Picking a favorite teacher would be extremely difficult because I love and appreciate every teacher I have had for different reasons,” Kaitlyn said.  "Mr. Robichaud has always been there to support and help me in both school and as a coach when it came to tennis and always showed me the values and return for being a student first and athlete second.  Mrs. Murphy opens her room each day at 6:30AM to myself and others and is always free to talk about what’s going on in my life and I know I am always able to rely on her to help me when I need it.  Mrs.Murphy has been both a friend and a teacher to me and that is all any student could ask for.”


Outside of school, Kaitlyn works at the 110 Grill in Leominster and volunteers with the United Way Youth Venture team Holiday Spreaders.


  


  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Devil Athlete Spotlight: Samara Rosado (Girls' Volleyball)

Senior girls’ volleyball player Samara Rosado has been an impactful team member since joining the volleyball program her sophomore year acco...