Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Blue Devil Athlete Spotlight: Kyle and Jack Philbin (Football)




Ever since the second grade, twin brothers Kyle and Jack Philbin have played football together.  That will all change in the fall when Kyle heads off to Brown University and Jack relocates to Waltham where he will attend Bentley University, where they will both play football.  


The Blue Devils start their delayed season on Friday when they head to Shepherd Hill.  Kyle said he is looking forward to playing one more season with his brother.


Jack is my best friend and the person that I am closest with, so being able to play football with him has been amazing,” Kyle said.  “Over time, I have developed a sense for how he plays and how he will react to certain situations on the field.  He's always there to stick up for me, celebrate with me, give me advice, and talk with me about the game, as I'm always there to do the same for him.”


Kyle also said having his brother literally behind him on the football field is a reassuring feeling.  


“Since I'm on the defensive line and he's a linebacker, I don't worry too much if the ball gets by me because I know that he'll be right there,” Kyle said.  “Being able to play with my twin is special because I know that he will always be there for me, on and off the field.”


Jack said the feeling of playing with his brother is mutual.  


“Being able to play with each other has been a great experience,” Jack said.  “It’s something that we both love doing and it makes it even better that we get to do it together.”


As for this being the final season together, Kyle said he is really trying to embrace the moment.


“I have appreciated playing with him at LHS a lot more than in previous years because I know that it will most likely be the last time that we'll share the same football field,” Kyle said.  “It will be hard not being on the same team because I will never have the same connection with another teammate that I have with him, and he was always there for me no matter what happened.”


Leominster head football coach Devin Gates said the Blue Devils are extremely lucky to have Jack and Kyle Philbin in the academic and athletic community at LHS.  


“Both of them truly exemplify what it means to be a student-athlete while also being strong of character,” Gates said.  “They do everything right, athletically, academically, and socially.  Athletically, they are highly skilled players at their positions.  They worked hard to get to this point and now they are seeing that pay off.”


Gates said what the Philbin’s have done in the classroom is just as impressive. 


“Academically, they have thrived at Leominster High School,” Gates said.  “They have probably taken every one of Leominster High's 19 AP/Honors classes, and those courses and teachers have prepared them to take on the high academic standards at both Brown and Bentley.  They have shown that Leominster's quality of education and athletics can lead you to some of the most competitive and prestigious universities in the country.”


Gates also spoke highly of both Kyle and Jack in terms of their overall character.  


“Socially, they are a pleasure to be around,” Gates said.  “They are a positive influence on the Blue Devil community and are always willing to help others.  Off the field they have helped at numerous community service opportunities.  They are just solid, well-rounded young men.”  


“They, along with the third senior captain, JC Cora, have provided the leadership to move this team forward, to make the other players want to play for each other and not to let anyone down,” Gates added.  “The Leominster High community is lucky to have them, and we are proud of them, along with all the other seniors who have followed suit and put school, family, and the team at the top of their priority lists.”


The Philbin twins were introduced to football by their grandfather, who played football his whole life including playing at Leominster High.  Kyle said his grandfather was an inspiration to play football himself.  Kyle said one of the things he has grown to love about the sport is the importance of working as a team.  


“You can have a star player on your team, but if everyone else on the team isn't doing their job then you won't be successful,” Kyle said. “I also love the brotherhood that I form with my teammates each year.  When we are on the field we are a family, and it is shown through the success that we have.”


“I like how everyone has to work together to make everything run smoothly,” Jack added.  


Kyle also said being a part of the Leominster football community has been special.  

“The thing that I like most about being part of the team at LHS is the family atmosphere that it provides with my teammates and coaches, because everyone truly cares about each other,” Kyle said.  “I also love how connected the team is with the community of Leominster.”


Kyle and Jack also said they have learned a lot in their time playing for coach Gates.  


“I’ve learned that it is very important to focus on perfecting the little things,” Jack said.


“In the past two football seasons at LHS, I have learned a lot from coach Gates,” Kyle added.  “Some of the things that I have learned from coach Gates include how important it is for everything to be done the correct way, and at 100%.  This is applied in my life outside of football as well because I've pushed myself to do things at the best of my ability, whether it be school work, lifting, and even working. There is no point in not doing things to the best of your ability because the results will not be acceptable, so everything should be done with 100% effort.”


Jack plans on studying Actuarial Science at Bentley while Kyle is still undecided, although he has narrowed it down a bit.  


“I am planning on going into college undecided so that I can explore the different majors at first, but I have an Idea of what I would like to do,” Kyle said.  “I want to still be involved with athletes when I'm older, but in a way that I help them recover and get stronger.  Many of the different topics that I see myself studying are Pre-Med, Exercise Science,  Kinesiology, or Sports Medicine.”   


As for their time at LHS, both have enjoyed their experiences.


Both Jack and Kyle also play lacrosse, and are part of Best Buddies and National Honor Society.  Jack said his favorite class was World Studies with Mr. Robichaud.  Kyle said his favorite class was also World Studies, but with Mrs. Fields, who also happens to be Kyle’s favorite teacher at LHS.  


Outside of school, Kyle enjoys other sports, volunteering in the community, and hanging out with friends.  Jack too enjoys hanging out with friends while also playing video games.  


As for adjusting to life without each other next year, Kyle said it will take some getting used to.


“Going to different colleges and playing on separate teams will be a difficult adjustment, but I look forward to seeing (Jack) succeed on the field, and in whatever profession he chooses to pursue,” Kyle said.  






No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Devil Athlete Spotlight: Samara Rosado (Girls' Volleyball)

Senior girls’ volleyball player Samara Rosado has been an impactful team member since joining the volleyball program her sophomore year acco...