Thursday, March 18, 2021

Blue Devil Athlete Spotlight: Curnija Ludden (Cheerleading)




Four-year varsity cheerleader and current captain Curnija Ludden does it all for the Blue Devils.  Whether it’s in the classroom, in competition, or providing valuable leadership, Curnija is someone her varsity cheerleading coach Tracey Hartman has come to rely on.

Curnija has shown unwavering commitment to Blue Devil pride,” Hartman said.  “As a four-year varsity cheerleader for football season and three-year varsity basketball season cheerleader - with  untraditional spring season ahead - she will be the only eight-season varsity cheerleader graduating this year.”  

 

“Curnija is respected by her teammates as she leads by example pushing herself to achieve new skills and supports her teammates to help them reach their potential,” Hartman added.  “She is a soft spoken leader but her messages hold tremendous weight.  She is an all around phenom on the completion mat being able to base the most difficult skills, perform elite tumbling skills, defy gravity while jumping, all while delivering the showmanship that captivates the crowd.”

 

Curnija started participating in cheer when was just five-years-old.

 

“My sister was a cheerleader and I would always see her,” Curnija said.  “I thought it was cool so I gave it a try and ended up really liking it.”

 

Curnija said she truly loves being involved with the sport.

 

I think I like how you just be yourself during every practice and become more confident and see everyone around you supporting you to be your best,” Curnija said.  

 

Being a part of the Blue Devil program has also meant a lot to Curnija, even when things aren’t perfect.  

 

I like most how we are a big family,” Curnija said.  “We get into arguments and have disagreements and have our ups and downs but we are always there for each other.   Most importantly we inspire each other to be better every practice.”  

 

Curnija said she has learned so much from coach Hartman.  

 

“I’ve learned many things from my coach, Mrs.Hartman, but I think one of the big things she has taught me is how to be a true leader,” Curnija said.  “She has taught me how to communicate.  I used to be really shy but cheer had always been a gateway but now I am always the way I am and she is always pushing me to be better and not be scared or shy and to be myself.”

 

“She taught me to lead with positivity, because how can one be a leader without positivity,” Curnija added.  “Obviously, there are times where you’re yelling and frustrated but that is genuinely because you know that the team is capable of so much more than what they are doing, but I always try to stay positive and make everyone around me feel that positivity and inspire from it.” 

 

Curnija said that in order to be a leader, she needed to learn to have confidence in herself, even when performing at large schools in front of big crowds.  

 

“I used to always just smile because I was so scared to mess up because I wasn’t that confident but slowly Mrs.Hartman and my other coaches would get me to a point and make me feel as if there were no reasons to be afraid and I became such a better cheerleader/competitor once I understood what they were truly saying,” Curnija said.  

 

“Overall, Tracey Hartman is the best coach I’ve ever had and I wouldn’t trade her for the world,” Curnija said.  “She has taught so much within these years of cheering and I will forever be grateful for her and the opportunity to be a cheerleader at LHS.”

 

After high school, Curnija plans to attend college and cheer while studying to become a veterinarian.

 

“I love all animals and it’s always been my dream since I was a child,” Curnija said.  

 

At LHS, Curnija said she has really enjoyed her English classes over the years.  

 

“My favorite class at LHS every year would have to be English, I don’t really know why but there is something about writing and reading that I find really interesting and I love to write,” Curnija said.  “So any of my English classes but if I had to pick just one I think I would say Junior English (Global Perspectives).  Even though we were not there for the whole year, my teacher, Mrs. Anderson was an amazing teacher and we read some of my now favorite books. 

 

“My favorite teachers would probably have to be Mrs.Anderson and Mrs.Burns,” Curnija added.  They are both phenomenal teachers and they genuinely care, and they both also welcome with open arms, and they always managed to put a smile on my face.  Their classes are what I looked forward to every time in school.”

 

Outside of school, Curnija recently found she enjoys painting.   

 

“A hobby started during COVID that I turned out to actually fall in love with is painting,” Curnija said.  “It’s actually very relaxing and helps time go by a little.  I have about 30 of them all hung around my room.”

 

As for what lies ahead, Hartman said she is excited to get back to something closer to normal after all that has happened over the past year.  

 

“As her coach I am grateful that we are able to salvage a small piece of normalcy for this exceptional athlete and the rest of this talented senior class of cheerleaders,” Hartman said.  “They have all had a significant impact on the program throughout their journey and together will have one last Hoorah!” 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Devil Athlete Spotlight: Samara Rosado (Girls' Volleyball)

Senior girls’ volleyball player Samara Rosado has been an impactful team member since joining the volleyball program her sophomore year acco...