Friday, April 9, 2021

Blue Devil Alumni Spotlight: Jannelle Boisseau '11 (Service Engineer, Signify)

2011 LHS graduate Jannelle Boisseau is doing big things, literally.  Boisseau currently works for Signify where she serves as a service engineer.  Boisseau maintains and designs the architectural lighting for buildings and bridges in Manhattan and across the country.



“I have seen the NYC skyline from heights people dream of,” Boisseau said.  “I have felt the wind at 1,200 feet up and the way buildings that massive sway in strong winds.  I am able to say I worked on the Eminem music video at the Empire State Building as well as every event from late 2017 until present.  I am one of the lucky ones and all the wonderful support and love from LHS helped make it possible.” 










Currently, her buildings include the Empire State Building, Madison Square Garden, One World Trade Center, 4 Times Square, One Bryant Park, and one of the newest skyscrapers in Manhattan, One Vanderbilt.  Two of the bridges Boisseau and her team monitor and maintain are in Memphis, including the Hernando DeSoto Bridge and the Harahan Bridge. 

Boisseau recalls her time at LHS being a very positive experience, including taking part in the Massachusetts Educational Theater Guild. 

“METG, the theater festival season was always my favorite time,” Boisseau said.  “We had schools from all over Massachusetts come to present their art.  I overlooked all of the lighting for each school and assisted their lighting designer.  I was able to learn a lot about the craft of lighting design.  It was a huge help in getting accepted to SUNY Purchase and significantly increased my confidence in my artistic abilities.”

At SUNY Purchase, Boisseau was part of the BFA program that focused on design technology. 

“I started my freshmen year as a rotating crew member through the program,” Boisseau explained.  “I learned how to sew costumes at a basic level, paint on a huge scale to create set designs, helped build set pieces for full scale shows, and I was exposed to high quality lighting fixtures as an electrician.”

“The final three years I spent most of my college career focusing on the ins and outs of lighting design,” Boisseau added.  “This included being a master electrician, programmer, assistant lighting designer, and lighting designer. I designed three shows my senior year, a dance piece and two plays.  I was also exposed to sound design and how to operate and program sound systems. Through Purchase College connections and teachers, I was able to move directly to NYC after college graduation.  I was employed and living in my dream city the same day I graduated.”

At LHS, Boisseau said she was lucky enough to have three favorite teachers.

 

“Mr. Lew helped me learn the technical side of film and everything that went into making a TV show behind the scenes,” Boisseau said.  “Mr. Smith was always there for me during school hours and after school at theatre crew calls.  He taught me important delegation skills as well as how to make lighting look good with low to no budget and light fixtures from the 80's.”  

“Finally, Ms. M, a true shining light for all theatre kids at LHS,” Boisseau said.  “She is there for you no matter what the problem.  She listens and understands each of her students.  Ms. M genuinely cares for the well being and mental health of all her students. For me Ms. M's classroom was my safe place.  Somewhere I could be myself with no judgements.  Arts and theater kept me motivated in high school.  The arts are a huge part of LHS and should be preserved and respected.”

Boisseau said her favorite class at LHS was art.  

“I learned how to draw light and express my visions through sketches, painting, and my favorite charcoal,” Boisseau said.  

Boisseau said the teachers at LHS were also vital in helping navigate the college admissions process.  

“Because of the teacher's at LHS, I was able to get into my number one school, SUNY Purchase,” Boisseau said.  “I believe I was the first LHS student to go to Purchase to pursue technical theatre.

Boisseau currently lives in the South Bronx with her fiancé Tim and her two dogs, Daisy and Baylor.  

“I wouldn't trade anything for where I am in life now,” Boisseau said.  “Even with all the craziness in the world, I feel as if I am able to shine a light of hope in NYC during the dark times.”



















 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Devil Athlete Spotlight: Samara Rosado (Girls' Volleyball)

Senior girls’ volleyball player Samara Rosado has been an impactful team member since joining the volleyball program her sophomore year acco...