Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Blue Devil Athlete Spotlight: Hannah Collier (Girls' Volleyball)



Senior Hannah Collier started playing volleyball during her freshman year at LHS and has thoroughly enjoyed being part of the team for the past four seasons.  

My older sister used to play and she thought I would like it,” Hannah said.  “I tried out as soon as I got to high school and I have loved it ever since,” Hannah said.  


Hannah has excelled at other sports in the past, including swimming where she swam competitively for seven years.  Hannah also played lacrosse for the Blue Devils.  However volleyball is a sport Hannah truly has come to enjoy and get a lot out of.  


“I like the fact that we have to work as a team in order to succeed,” Hannah said.  “I feel like it's such an important skill to have for the future so I think it’s the thing I like the most about volleyball.”


“The thing that I like the best about being a part of the LHS volleyball team is that we are a team,” Hannah added.  “No one player makes the team.  We make the team all together.  We have to work as a unit together in order to succeed.  Working as a group just makes things so much better and more fun.”


Hannah also said she has learned a lot from girls’ volleyball coach John Antonetti, who started coaching the Blue Devils during her sophomore year.  


“He has helped me to start believing in myself and not to worry so much about messing up one pass because there is always the next one,” Hannah said.  “This past season, the most useful thing he has taught me is to tell myself that the ball is coming to me every time the other side of the court is passing the ball over the net.  This tip has helped me to get out of my head and ready for the next hit. It has greatly helped me with receiving the ball, which is great considering I play back row.”


Antonetti said Hannah is an underrated player.  


“She's mentally tough, a very positive player,” Antonetti said.  “She seldom gets down on herself, if she's involved in a bad play she makes up for it in the next opportunity.  She always gives everything she has.  She's that type of player, you wished you had six of them on the court at the same time.”


Hannah will attend Bridgewater State University in the fall where she will major in Special Education with a concentration in Severe Special Education.  


“I also plan to become an American Sign Language interpreter,” Hannah said.  


Hannah will also try out for the BSU volleyball team.


At LHS, Hannah has taken part in many clubs including G.I.V.E and NHS.  She is also the Vice President of Best Buddies.


Her favorite class so far in high school has been A.P. Government and Politics and International Justice and Global Community.  


“I don't think I can pick my favorite teacher because I have had so many great teachers,” Hannah added.  “Two of my definite favorites are Ms. Grimes and Mrs. Murphy.”


Outside of school, Hannah loves reading, writing, and art. 


“I also really enjoy swimming and I luckily found a great job where I can swim all the time considering I work as a lifeguard,” Hannah said.  




 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Devil Athlete Spotlight: Samara Rosado (Girls' Volleyball)

Senior girls’ volleyball player Samara Rosado has been an impactful team member since joining the volleyball program her sophomore year acco...