Thursday, February 3, 2022

Blue Devil Athlete Spotlight: Carissima Heinis (Girl's Ice Hockey)





Junior Carissima Shelby Heinis, new to the school and the Leominster program this year, started playing ice hockey around the age of eight, thanks in large part to her brother and mother. 


My brother ended up inspiring me to join the sport and my mom and brother helped me learn to skate,” Carissima said.  


Carissima said the sport of hockey works for her in a number of ways.


“Even though you make a small wrong move or play you always have time to turn it into a good play,” Carissima said.  “As well as I like being able to express myself on the ice and having it as a release.  If I’m having a bad day and I have practice later that day, once I get one the ice, I immediately feel better.”


During her freshman year, Carissima tore her ACL and was off the ice for six months and couldn’t play in any games or have physical contact for a full year.   


It was hard to get back on the ice and start skating again as well as working on my endurance,” Carissima said.  “But I ended up getting it back up and my muscle memory ended up with my being able to get it back two to three weeks from starting skating again.”


Now a Blue Devil, coach Nancy LeBlanc said Carissima has been a surprise addition to the team this year.


“From day one, she has worked hard and been a team player,” LeBlanc said.  “Playing defense this year, she has been asked to play substantial minutes.  With her speed and ability to use the glass to get the puck out of the zone as well as using her speed to rush the puck, she has become one of our top defensemen.”


Carissima said she has learned a lot from her new coach so far.


I’ve learned from coach LeBlanc that even when you feel down over a goal, it is never your fault, and this is a team sport and it’s not like it’s the last period in a championship game.”


Carissima said she has been welcomed to the Blue Devil family with open arms.


I like how once I first started on this team, the girls accepted me directly away on to the team,” Carissima said.  “It is just such a huge opportunity to be able to be on this team and be able to connect with everyone on the ice.” 


Here at Leominster, Carissima said her favorite teacher at least so far has been Mrs. Rangaraj.


“I just started going to this school so because of the fact I did Connection's Academy, I haven’t had enough exposure to my teachers yet to pick a favorite, but if I was to choose one it would definitely be Mrs. Rangaraj as my A.P. Chemistry teacher because of how she has always been social support both in school and out of school,” Carissima said.  


After graduating from high school, Carissima said wants to continue playing the game she loves.


“I plan on playing ice hockey throughout college but I’m not sure if I plan to play it out of college,” Carissima said.  “Besides that I want to go into the medics career and take after my dad.”


Outside of school, Carissima stays quite busy as well.


“Hobbies that I do outside of school other than ice hockey include writing and running,” Carissima said.  “I plan on joining back into my coaching job that I had coaching little kids hockey.  During the off-season from hockey, I make sure to stay fit by working out and eating healthy as well as making  sure I am socially involved with many of my friends.”





No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Devil Athlete Spotlight: Samara Rosado (Girls' Volleyball)

Senior girls’ volleyball player Samara Rosado has been an impactful team member since joining the volleyball program her sophomore year acco...