Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Blue Devil Athlete Spotlight: Victoria Belcastro (Softball)



Sophomore pitcher Victoria Belcastro has played softball most of her life, starting in kindergarten.  Victoria saw some action on the mound as a freshman last year for the Blue Devils, and is looking to take the next step assuming the role of the primary pitcher for coach Tara Witzgall’s team.  


Tori is a sophomore pitcher who saw some time in the circle last season as a freshman,” Witzgall said.  “She was incredibly effective off the bench as a relief pitcher and also started some games for us. Due to an injury to junior pitcher Megan Dube, Belcastro will take on the responsibility of doing most, if not all of the pitching this season.”


“She is a hard worker who puts in extra time on the field and off to make herself the best she can be,” Witzgall added.  “We are excited to see her hard work pay off on the mound this season,” added Witzgall.  


Victoria said she has learned a lot from Witzgall so far in her high school career.  


“Something I have learned from my head coach is how important it is to be a team player, and how you can not act selfishly,” Victoria said.  “There are many sacrifices you need to make to be on a team and I have learned how important those all are.”


Victoria, who also plays softball for the Central Mass. Voodoo, said pitching is what she likes most about softball.  


“What I like most about softball is pitching,” Witzgall said.  “I love the thrill I get while being in the circle and knowing I have a great defense behind me.”


Victoria also hopes to play softball after graduating from LHS, specifically at a school in Boston.  After that, she wants to open her own sports facility.


That’s a long way off though for the sophomore, who is currently enjoying her time as a Blue Devil.


“I like the support from my teammates and coaches, and the high level softball we play at,” Victoria said.  “It feels like we’re all one big family.”


In school, Victoria’s favorite class so far has been Honors American Studies. 


“My favorite teacher has been Mr. Robichaud,” Victoria said.  


When not in school, Victoria’s focus remains on getting better at the sport she loves.


“Outside of school I like to workout and enrich my softball skills,” Victoria said.  



1 comment:

Blue Devil Athlete Spotlight: Samara Rosado (Girls' Volleyball)

Senior girls’ volleyball player Samara Rosado has been an impactful team member since joining the volleyball program her sophomore year acco...