Thursday, November 2, 2023

Blue Devil Athlete Spotlight: Jake Paskell (Football)





On October 26th, 2021, current LHS senior Jake Paskell was diagnosed with B-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia.  But those that know Jake best know what a tough and competitive person he is and fast forward two years later, Jake is spending his days and nights on the football field playing the game he loves.  

“I have never met a stronger, more resilient person, than Jake Paskell,” LHS football coach Devin Gates said.  “The adversity he and his family have faced over the last few years was immense, but they never wavered and they never lost faith.  Jake beating cancer is just how his story is going to go, period.  I think our coaches and Jake's teammates always knew that he was going to be back playing, so for us it was just, alright, Jake is back, but when you actually take a minute and think of what he had to battle to get to this point, it's nothing short of amazing.”


Jake is not only back on the football field, but he is starting on the offensive line and playing at a high level.  


“It's just incredible,” Gates said.  “He's an outstanding young man that we are lucky to have on our team and in our lives.  He has endured more in his young life than most do for the entirety of theirs, and he always does it with either a smile or a look of determination on his face, never doubt.”


Jake, who has lived in Leominster his entire life started playing football when he was in the seventh grade.


“I was big for my age in seventh grade and the coaches wanted me to play,” Jake said.  


Since that first experience, Jake has really grown to love the game of football and being part of the LHS football team.  


I mainly love the competitiveness and the drive to win,” Jake said.  “The environment at Doyle Field is amazing and I love my teammates.  Everybody pushes each other to work harder every day. Nothing is better than Leominster football.”


Jake has also learned a lot from Coach Gates.


“I learned that he really cares about everyone and has an incredible drive to win,” Jake said.  


Jake said this will likely be his last year of football, as he plans on going to college and majoring in Journalism next year with dreams of becoming a sports writer.


“I am not planning on playing football in college so this is most likely my final season,” Jake said.  “I’m soaking it all in day by day and taking advantage of my time.”


At LHS, Jake also plays on the baseball team for Coach Barnaby and loves taking history classes.  


“I love history so I don’t have a particular favorite class but all the history classes I’ve taken are up there,” Jake said.  “My favorite teacher though is Dr. DeCarvalho.”


Outside of school, Jake likes to golf and hang out with friends.  










No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Devil Athlete Spotlight: Caroline Kelly (Field Hockey)

Junior field hockey player Caroline Kelly has lived in Leominster her entire life and started playing field hockey when she was in sixth gra...